| Home | About Us | Blog | Photos | Links | Webcam | Contact Us |
       Read my archived posts! Click Here

Thursday, February 21, 2008
Last weekend was a really fun time. After Allie called me from her safe trip back home I headed to bed in my nice hotel room all to myself. I had to wake up and be ready for the conference to start the next morning at 8:00 though. I was pretty tired all weekend though. But Friday morning came and I got down to the Continental breakfast at around 7:00. They had a nice spread of stuff too and I ate quite a bit. They had all you could eat bacon and sausage as well as a bunch of kinds of cereal and a waffle maker and fruit. Plus even more stuff I won't list because it will take another paragraph. Anyway I ate my fill for sure. But then I found out that the conference didn't actually start until around 9:00 so I had an extra hour to just relax for awhile and talk to the other people from my church that showed up that morning, there were 7 of us from our church total.

Once the conference started we got on a role and went through the whole day getting quite a bit of stuff done. We took a break for lunch which was catered to us for free and then went through until around 5:00. We had accomplished a lot and we had discovered a few good ideas for ways to effectivley grow our church more. After the meeting for the day was done we all decided to head out to dinner as a group. We ended up going to T-Bone Jacks for dinner and I had steak and Ribs for my meal. It was really good too. Earlier that afternoon we had found out that another family from our church was staying at that same hotel because the husband had a convention that evening nearby. So after dinner all of us went together and surprised him there at the convention. He had a stand setup displaying some of his Taxidermy work. It was like a major Redneck convention though and there were hunters there displaying thier deer heads and stuff there was also a place you could buy guns and things. Pretty much anything redneck was there on display. There was a little girl there my pastor saw she was about 5 years old and had on a camo skirt and blouse and her dad was telling people around him the story of how she had killed her first deer this year. That kind of stuff was going on all around. What made the place really cool to me though was there was one stand where someone had wild birds of pray (live ones) on display. He had a couple different types of Owl, Hawks, and Falcons. I was there when he was feeding one of the Falcons. He gave him three Mice. He held the mouse in his and and the falcon would just bend down and eat it right out of it. It as really kind of cool.

Probably the best part about that whole show was another area where a Guy had brought in a live 1300lb Grizzly bear. He had put his head in his mouth and had him stand up on his hind legs. He also got on top of him and rode him around like a horse. It was really pretty cool. At the end of the show he put him in a small little enclosure on the back a trailer. He had tied a chain around his neck and led him in the box and he crawled inside the box with him for a moment while he got him settled in there ready for the night. Then he came out and closed him in. I thought that was all really cool. We had stayed at the convention place until right when they were closing things up. I wouldn't say I would normally like all that kind of stuff, but this was actually a fun place to go and I sure enjoyed it. After leaving we headed back to the Hotel and I pretty much went right to bed.

Saturday morning we had the last segment of our Conference and finished up our workbook of stuff to do and came up with more ideas and details on helping our church become more effective in our community. Over all I would say the conference was really good and productive. There were times and areas we probalby could have skipped over and made it not last quite as long, but over all I can't complain. After the conference was over I ended up hitching a ride back with the Rossi Family. Since Allie left Thursday night I was stuck without a car. But that was really the first chance I had to really sit and have a conversation with them. I really liked our car trip back together. I got to know them pretty well. After getting back to Lynchburg I had to go home and take a nap for awhile because I was so tired. Sitting in a conference for two days really takes it out of you I guess. But then I woke up again later that evening to go to our Saturday evening church ministry.

Sunday morning I woke up and went to church as usual then spent the afternoon over at the Donneberg's house for lunch and time to just hang out with them. It has actually been awhile since we've spent a whole afternoon over there I think. It was pretty fun. Then that evening we went to a different church service that I'll tell you about more below.

This week so far has been a really great week. It is missions emphasis week around Liberty and Steve Saint along with a bunch of other missionaries came into town for that. Allie and I on Sunday evening went to the Thomas Road Service and heard Steve Saint speak and tell some of his story. He also brought with him the indian that had killed his Dad, but has since come to Christ and he told his story some also. It was really cool to be able to see and hear them in person. Monday night we went to another meeting that was a lot smaller setting aimed for missions oriented students. We went to a classroom and he spoke with us in a class type setting about the way missions should be done. Allie and I had more of a chance to talk with him there. It was really cool.

Tuesday was a really busy day for me at work and I barely had a chance to relax all day but I got through it ok. That Evening Allie and I met for dinner with a Representative from Wycliff that we both have been in contact with regarding joining that organizaion in the future. We had just talked on the phone a lot but this was our first chance to meet him in person. We ended up going to Olive Garden and we both enjoyed ourselfs and our chance to meet with him.

Wednesday ended up being a pretty typical day though. I woke up early and had coffee with my pastor and we had a great time talking as always. The day at work was pretty typical too and there wasn't too much there that happend worth reporting. After work I went home for awhile until Campus church that evening. Becca, Allie and I all went to the service they have over at Liberty Wednesday nights. They are doing a series now on Christian Relationships and Dating and things. It has been pretty good so far. We have gone the past few weeks also. Anway after that service was over they were doing a thing called Taste of the Nations where they have stands setup with a different group of students from different countries all prepared a special dish that reflects thier part of the world. So We went there and went around trying foods from a bunch of different places. I would say there were probably about 25-30 different nationalities represented there. It was really cool. Afterwards I ended up just going back home and doing a few things before bed. But I think that pretty much gets be all caught up. There was a lot that happend since my last post but I think I got it. Glad you made it through it all. Until next time!
posted by Jeremy Dillinger @ 6:38 PM 

       Read my archived posts! Click Here